Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Roasted Chicken II

Laugh if you must...but the roasted chicken was so delicious and the sale price on whole chickens was so good that we made it twice!  I wanted to try using less butter so I thought I'd let you know how it turned out.  The second time I only used 1/4 cup butter (instead of 1/2 cup), putting 1 Tbsp inside the chicken cavity and cutting the rest into 1/8 inch thick pads to spread over the outside of the chicken.  It was still juicy and moist but the skin did not get as golden.  If you are going to avoid eating most of the skin anyway, then it probably won't make much difference for you to use less than the 1/2 cup.

This time I added some small potatoes to the dutch oven and they turned out wonderful!  I'm sure it helped that they were fresh from the farmers market, but they were also cooked to perfection and literally melted in your mouth.  My husband even went crazy for them and he is not much of a baked potato person.

No comments:

Post a Comment