Friday, February 1, 2013

Tortellini Soup


I got this recipe from my mother in law and I love it because it is so simple yet so delicious!  It is also extremely forgiving if you want to use more or less of a particular ingredient to fit your needs or tastes.  For instance, I have added more tomatoes and tortellini to make it stretch farther when we have company.  I also don't worry about it if the bunch of spinach or bag of tortellini I buy differs in size from the recipe.

2 Tbsp olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
6-8 oz tortellini

14 oz can of diced tomatoes, with juice
10 oz fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
8-10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
grated Parmesan cheese

In a large pot, saute minced garlic in oil for 1-2 minutes (careful it can burn fast).   Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer.   Add tortellini for recommended cooking time.  Add spinach and basil, cook until wilted.  Serve with Parmesan cheese on top. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment